Our Ning community is likely to be used in shared-PC settings at libraries and workforce centers. Plus, we're federally funded and there are restrictions (newly loosened a bit) around the use of persistent cookies. Ning appears to set three persistent cookies at login.

Is there any way to remove these? Could we write our own login process and avoid them? Could we build in an inactivity timer to log people out after, say, 5 minutes of inactivity. The seats in these locations stay warm all day, with people generally limited to 15 minutes per session.

I've been through the API docs and can't see anywhere that this is addressed.

TIA for any help.

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mike,

I don't believe there is any way to set the cookie behavior for a network, though it's an interesting thought going forward.

As for how to log people out after periods of inactivity, one solution might be to use javascript in the "custom code" portion of your network to forward users to the signout page (network.ning.com/main/authorization/signout) after x minutes of inactivity. This is a hacky way to accomplish this goal, but would probably do the trick.

It's possible a custom login workaround might have promise, but it seems like a lot more effort and also likely to suffer from the same problem where you need ning cookies to be logged in on the network.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

Ben

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Getting Started

Posted by Kyle Ford on October 13, 2010 at 8:00am 3 Comments

A Note on API Pricing

Posted by Phil McCluskey on October 1, 2010 at 8:55am 0 Comments

Welcome to Build!

Posted by Kyle Ford on September 30, 2010 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Ning Status