I've got a client who is using the 'ning exporter' to export his 4000+ members' data (just member data, no blogs, picture data, etc). 

We get one big JSON file.  Using php json_decode(), I get 'malformed json error', but it doesn't tell me what/where it's malformed.  It's huge to try to visually figure it out.  Any tips on how to get this data usable?

Perhaps more to the point, is there anything in that data that I wouldn't get just pulling user data from the API directly?  I can't tell if the json export includes group data or not.  I'm cynically thinking 'no', because it's not in the API yet (another question - when is that coming?), but given that it's a separate download tool, maybe it's giving me something the API doesn't directly?

Views: 636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi there,

The json data export includes Groups data if you request it. Try removing the outermost brackets on the json data to fix the error you're getting.

Thanks,

Phil

Running into this as well, I've identified three issues with the JSON produced by the export tool:

1. Bogus parentheses around the JSON - remove the ( at the beginning and ) at the end.

2. Missing commas between objects - replace '}{' with '},{'.

3. Misplaced ] - replace '}]{' with '},{.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Getting Started

Posted by Kyle Ford on October 13, 2010 at 8:00am 3 Comments

A Note on API Pricing

Posted by Phil McCluskey on October 1, 2010 at 8:55am 0 Comments

Welcome to Build!

Posted by Kyle Ford on September 30, 2010 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Ning Status

© 2024   Created by Build Team.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service